Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Close Encounter



Hola a todos! I hope you are all doing well! I hear the weather has lightened up a bit so I hope you are having a chance to enjoy it!!

Here is a picture of the nice little surprise I had the other morning. As I was closing the door to my room something brushed my hand and then fell onto the floor. I thought it must have been part of my bag that was hanging on the door but when I looked down I saw two claws and a tail…SCORPION!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Think fast…I heard they are pretty hard to kill so I picked up a rock that was in my room *I always wondered why I had such a large rock in my room…but now I know why!* and I took it and crushed it! Threw it into a garbage bag and brought it out to the trash.

Uhhhh! As we say when we start seeing new things…because no one has been here for the full year “oh it must be the season” Well I hope the Scorpion season does not last too long!

Last week I had the opportunity to go to the beach for a few days. Me and my friend Patricia packed a few snacks and headed out and spent Wed through Friday at a beach called Tela that sits on the northern coast of Honduras on the Caribbean. We had such a wonderful time…the “hotel” I stayed in was $6/night…for a reason…yuck! But the scenery was beautiful and we spent all day on Thursday at a private beach…we paid $5.00 each to get beach passes and rented two chairs and a beach umbrella for $3.00! And stayed there for 8 hours! So nice just looking at the water and seeing the waves! We left Friday morning and ended our trip with a nice cup of coffee at a hotel that was built up into the hillside overlooking the ocean

The big news for this week was that I was designated to be the assistant teacher for la Classe de Computodora. I had my first class on Monday. Yeah sounds great! I think I am the most computer illiterate person on the planet that added with the fact that the head teacher was helping with a group of volunteers at an offsite project so I had three classes that were 50 minutes each that I had to teach all by myself. Oh yeah…did I mention my Spanish isn’t very good. Haha! It was definitely a sight to be seen...I felt like I was in the movie Old School where ??? get’s the question at the debate and all of a sudden he blacks out and is able to answer the question perfectly and then when he is done he comes to and is like “what just happened”! The kids seemed to follow along pretty well and we played a few games and sang a computer song that I made up…I was pretty desperate but the song ended up being pretty catchy!

Because Todd is the project leader I am thinking that there are going to be many more classes where I will be flying solo…but I think this will really help me dive into the language and start learning at a faster rate! I will have 6 hours of class a week plus PE for 3 hours on Friday…trim and bilingual…not bad! Haha!

That is all for now! I can’t believe I have been here for a month and time just seems to be flying…I hope all is well and will be thinking about all of you!

Take care!!

Joana

3 comments:

  1. Estas Loca!!! Joan, that is so cool. I am glad you get to go to the beach. I can't believe you have already been there for a month. Keep living the good life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Senorita Joana!!! I love the blog. Have not read it all but I am so proud of you for dealing with the scorpion the way you did! I might have left and peed my pants! Anyways you are amazing to be doing what you are doing. Cant wait to read morel. Same old going on here. Max says hi. Talk to you soon Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joan
    This must be an unbelievable experience! I love reading about it. I would have total freaked with the scorpion!

    Can't wait to read your next post!

    Take care,
    B

    ReplyDelete